Sunday, August 28, 2011

Zucchini Muffins

My mom and dad have had an overabundance of zucchini in their garden this year.  We can hardly use what they give us - we've pretty much incorporated it into every meal the past two weeks!  I decided to use up a couple and make muffins.  Muffins are great because you can eat them for breakfast, a snack, or easily take them to share with others.


For these I used a basic muffin recipe that I originally used with the left over pulp from juicing.  You can definitely reuse the recipe if you juice a lot - just replace the zucchini for pulp.  I've tried a lot of different varieties of juice pulp and they all work great.  The zucchini is definitely not as sweet as fruit would be, but the frosting takes care of that.  If you don't care for frosting, I would just add a little more sugar or honey to the recipe.





I don't have a recipe for the frosting - I originally wanted to make a cream cheese frosting, but didn't have any cream cheese on hand.  We did have about 1 1/2 cups of quark (Greek yogurt would work just as well) so to it I added about 3/4 cups powdered sugar, 1/2/ tsp. vanilla, and a squeeze of lemon juice.  It was a bit tart, but I like it that way.  Just add more sugar to tone it down.  Refrigerate to thicken.




Zucchini (or juice pulp) Muffins

2 cups flour (I used whole wheat flour)
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/3 cup sugar or honey
1/3 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
1 cup milk (I used soy, but any is fine)
1/3 cup oil
1 Tbs. vinegar
1 1/2 - 2 cups shredded zucchini or pulp (I would recommend 2 cups if using whole wheat flour)

Preheat over to 375 degrees.

Mix dry ingredients.  Mix wet ingredients.  Pour wet into dry and stir to combine.  Fold in pulp.

Bake 25 - 30 minutes or until inserted knife comes out clean.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment